We are pleased to announce the extension of the OpenCities App Challenge deadline to September 15!
This will present a unique opportunity for alignment between this first pan-European app competition and some of the major open data app competitions running locally in Europe:
- Apps for Amsterdam (launched last June 15 and running until October 19)
- Apps4Finland (launching on August 1st and running until October 28)
It also presents a great opportunity for developers to participate with one app to several competitions at the same time, given the similarities in requirements and the themes covered.
The OpenCities App Challenge is a free entry competition, and your chance to create and make your mark within the city you live. Every day, governments and government agencies, publish more data on the Internet than anyone else – use their information for FREE! Your app can be seen and used by millions of European citizens and the best bit is -it remains all yours! Make money from your app idea!
The most successful online brands we know today are built on open source and are using some kind of open data. The winner will receive the Best Open Cities App and a prize of €3,000 in November in Barcelona. The Open Data App Challenge powered by AppCircus is made possible by eight participating European cities including, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Bologna, Berlin, Helsinki, London, Paris and Rome
Apps4Amsterdam: smart apps that make the difference for citizens of Amsterdam 2012
After a successful edition in 2011, the app development competition for Amsterdam is back. The competition calls developers and citizens to make professional apps for mobile phones or the Web with open data of the city of Amsterdam. Besides the social and economic value, it is important that the apps are viable after the end of the competition. City officials who are involved can help developers turn their idea into a success, in line with the needs of the city. This year, Apps for Amsterdam revolves around six themes that are important to the capital: vacancy, tourism & culture, democracy, mobility, security and energy.
For the best apps, a total of €15.000 Euros in prize money is made available.
The competition closes on October 19, 2012.
Apps for Amsterdam is organized by the Amsterdam Economic Board, Waag Society, Amsterdam Innovation Motor and City of Amsterdam, Economic Affairs.
Apps4Finland is a competition where you can compete with ideas and functional web applications, widgets, mashups, mobile apps and other digital utilities that, make use of public data.
There are five categories in the competition:
- Idea Category – Participate by sharing your ideas for how to use open data. You will help developers in finding interesting application and visualizing opportunities.
- Application Category – Participate by creating an application which uses open data.
- Visualisation Category – Participate by visualizing open data or present a datajournalism project.
- Data Category looks for competition entries which have made data more accessible. The entries can include new data sets or improvements to existing ones.
- Data Tutorial – Participate by creating a tutorial for using open data with some source code.
The competition closes on October 28, 2012, and there are €20,000 worth of prizes, but there could be more. Stay tuned!