The Softonic powered Better Life App Challenge has closed its submission and voting phases and can now publicly announce its ten most impressive submissions. Launched in July with a hackathon at the Barcelona Mobile World Centre, the project sought to find apps that bettered the everyday lives of users within the following themes – Personal Goals, Lifelong Learning, Work-Life Balance, Better Life At Work, Respect, Collaboration, Privacy and Safety.
Submission was free for developers and included a three month incubation programme including webinars for those who wished to use it. Nearly 70 apps were sent from all over the globe including the U.S, UK, Germany, Russia, Colombia and Nigeria covering a range of topics.
The finalists are as follows:
1. Kiwi Campus (Bogotá, Colombia) Theme: Collaboration (IOS, Android).
A platform to connect students, doing favors and deliveries on demand in college campuses.
2. Snackson (Barcelona, España) Theme: Lifelong Learning (IOS, Android). Is a mobile based e-learning service where companies and institutions can carry out training actions for their employees.
3. Thingthing Keyboard (Barcelona, Spain) Theme: Better Live at Work (IOS). Connects Calendar, Dropbox, Google Drive, Facebook, Instagram, GIFs and much more, all from within one keyboard.
4. Keychn – Live Streaming the world of home cooking (Barcelona, Spain) Theme: Lifelong Learning (IOS). A live streaming cooking app that connects foodies all around the world.
5. Get ZENd (Toronto, Canada) Theme: Personal Goal (Android). Stress reducing app that adds clarity, improves your sleeping pattern and improves focus.
6. Schooltivity (Valencia, Spain) Theme: Work Life Balance / Better Life at Work (Android, IOS). A digital platform that improves communication between parents and daycare centres.
7. DAYSK (Barcelona) Theme: Work Life Balance / Better Life at Work (Android, IOS). Daysk promotes working mobility for professionals by easing the process of working remotely.
8. Joosr Book Summaries (United Kingdom, Brighton) Theme: Lifelong Learning (IOS). Boost your knowledge in just 20 minutes with summaries from great non-fiction texts.
9. Instant (India, Pune) Theme: Personal Goal (IOS / Android). Using varied personal analytics to help people lead a healthier and more productive life.
10. Psonríe (Barcelona) Theme: Personal Goal (Android). Solution to anonymously connect users with psychiatric professionals for quick, low rate conversations.
These ten will compete at a grand final event to be held on December 13th at the Antiga Fabrica Estrella Damm in Barcelona. An onstage jury of industry experts including Softonic’s Business and MKT Director David Jordan, Softonic VP Product Gino Micacchi, GSMA mSchools Manager David Vilella and and e-growing founder Vanessa Estorach will be evaluating each developer’s pitch and their products merits.
The top three apps will spilt 10,000 US in cash as well as Softonic providing impressive promotional rewards and app acceleration for select apps. Audience attendance for the final is free and will be followed by a networking session with complimentary beer and snacks.