App economy is still in its beginning and opportunities are enormous. 7 billion people in the world have access to smartphones. Apps are not bound to borders and with the right app formula you can really succeed in the app market. A concrete example comes from the developer Mattias Borg from Stockholm, Sweden, who won Appcircus London vibrant competition at the beginning of the winter season, with his app GuidePal.
Mattias gave us insights of GuidePal app development and a precious advice for beginners in the app development world. Here is the short interview:
– How did it all start? It took seven months to launch our first alpha app, but almost three years before we had a native apps for iOS and Android that fully met our expectations and requirements. I had a company in the on-line concierge business, and exited that company to Sodexo Group in 2008. Me and my co-founders dropped out in 2011 to start building GuidePal. We saw there was a demand for curated content when it comes to travel tips and recommendations but realized that most of the apps out there had poor quality and mostly relied on crowd content.
– If you could choose one, what is the most difficult moment you had to face during your app development? It took us some time to find the right mobile developers. It’s not enough to be an excellent developer you also need to have years of experience to be a great mobile developer.
– What advice would you give to someone starting to create their first app? Go for native apps right away and make sure you work with only the best developers.
– Imagine a magic app of your dreams. What could it change in your daily life? Everywhere I travel in the world I would like to be able to buy personal services as easy as I Uber a car.
– Which opportunities do you see in the App economy? 7 billion people in the world have access to smart phones, apps are not bound to borders, and the app economy is still in its beginning so the opportunities are enormous.
– What is your favourite app of all time? Uber. A great idea that has disrupt a whole industry and also very well executed. I am proud to say that GuidePal has a full API integrations with Uber, so everywhere in the app where you see a tip whit an address related to it, you get the information about estimated price time of arrival to the destination and can instantly order a car there.
– 3 key elements that allowed you to launch your app? Focus, diligence and outstanding technique and design.
– Do you have other app ideas in mind for the next future? I would like to do an app for peer-to-peer personal services, like an Uber for personal services.
THANK YOU MATTIAS, AND BEST OF LUCK IN FUTURE APP DEVELOPMENT!