Register today for the Cairo Transport AppChallenge
App developers: we need you to help us solve Cairo’s transport chaos
20 million people, 14 million cars on the road every day… a growing city on the edge of transport collapse. How can your app help? That’s where our challenge begins!
The World Bank is collaborating with Google Developer Group (GDG) Cairo and AppCircus to launch the Cairo Transport AppChallenge. How can we use mobile technology to improve transport in Cairo, make it less congested and safer for drivers, passengers and users of public transport.
That’s our challenge.
Now it’s up to you, if you are a freelance app developer, app development company or you just have a great idea and a dream to become one of the above, this could be your chance to turn your ideas for great apps into reality.
One of the main aspects of the Cairo Transport AppChallenge is the first [email protected], powered by AppCircus: a hands-on, ongoing project where developers, designers, businesses and creative people, come together to create innovative apps that provide the answers to everyday problems.
Taking part in the challenge will give you the chance to get expert help to build your app from our online mentors, form a team by connecting with like-minded designers, developers and programmers and make a real impact in the daily lives of millions of people.
Get involved! Start taking part now!
How does it work?
- The Cairo Transport AppChallenge is open to all app creators: developers, marketeers or users with ideas.
- The first step is to register for the challenge and start building your team. This is where [email protected] will help you to make and manage those contacts.
- Now it’s time to get the briefing, understand the problem and start applying your creativity to find the solution.
- [email protected] has begun! Now you’ve got the chance to use our online mentors to make your app a reality.
- If you already have an app that you think fits the bill, you can submit it for consideration before the final deadline.
- Our team of experts, along with the online community, will choose the top 10 transportation apps to participate in our grand final in Cairo on December 15.
- Along with a cash prize, the winners will get the chance to present their app at the Mobile Premier Awards, which coincide with the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in 2013!
Why do we need you?
Cairo is in transformation: at the forefront of the biggest social changes in the region, it’s a city in constant evolution. Cairo has inspired us and helped us to see that when people come together they can actually change things for the better. Now it’s time for us to try and give something back. Lets help Cairo run more smoothly.
Traffic congestion is a serious problem in the Cairo metropolitan area with substantial adverse effects on personal travel time, vehicle operating costs, air quality, public health and business operations.
We think that Mobile technology could provide the answer to some of the biggest challenges faced by Cairo’s commuters:
- Lack of awareness of driving regulations and safety on the road.
- Lack of information about private and public transport in Cairo.
- The need to improve the quality of public transport by integrating new technologies.
- Finding ways to improve security and minimize harassment of women traveling on public transport.
- Improving mobility for people with physical challenges.
- Finding ways to control traffic infractions and identify dangerous driving.
These are just some of the ways mobile technology could improve transportation in Cairo. Now it’s up to you.
Get involved! Go to Cairo Transport AppChallenge today and start turning your app into a reality.
The Cairo Transport AppChallenge is sponsored by Google and Orange and supported by the World Bank, AppCircus, Google Developer Group (GDG) Cairo, Egyptian Ministry of CIT, TIEC, ITIDA, Egyptian Ministry of Transport, Green Arm, AYB, Arabnet and Wamda.
About [email protected]
[email protected] has been created with the purpose of asking app creators to come up with ideas for specific challenges to improve our daily lives. Working with NGOs, governmental institutions and businesses, [email protected] is an innovative new platform that brings together app creators and app experts and gives them a series of online tools to allow them to collaborate more fluidly. [email protected] is all about creating Apps for Life.
AppCircus is the world’s largest travelling competition for applications. The event serves as a showcase for new app developers to premier their latest creations in front of mobile industry experts, angel investors and other developers. Since it began in 2010 there has been over 100 AppCircus events around the world in over 30 countries, with over 2,500 apps submitted.
About the World Bank
The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. It is a unique partnership to reduce poverty and support development, comprising two institutions managed by 188 member countries: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association(IDA). The IBRD aims to reduce poverty in middle-income and creditworthy poorer countries, while IDA focuses exclusively on the world’s poorest countries. These institutions are part of a larger body known as the World Bank Group.
About the GDG Cairo
GDG Cairo [Google Developer Group – Cairo] is one of the biggest technical communities in Egypt, organizing some interesting conferences, competitions, and many other creative activities. It is a technical user group for people who are interested in Google’s developer technology; everything from the Android and App Engine platforms, to product APIs like the YouTube API and the Google Calendar API, to initiatives like OpenSocial. Volunteers, experts in many fields, manage the group, which is always open to accept new volunteers interested in being part of the organizational team.